Concrete Benefits | CEMEX UAE - CEMEX UAE ReadyMix
CEMEX continuously work to improve the properties of concrete that make it a key component of sustainable construction: durability, resistance to aggressive environments, light reflection, and capacity to store energy, among others.
- Harbors and Bridges: a special design of high performance concrete combines durability and low maintenance with resistance to aggressive environments.
- Industrial Applications: concrete with high acid resistance is robust and durable for such uses as cooling towers.
Building and Housing
- Structures: self-compacting concrete improves strength and durability of building structures, while reducing energy use and noise due to concrete vibration.
- Envelope: structural lightweight concrete or Insulating Concrete Forms (ICF) offer insulation solutions to improve energy efficiency in buildings.
- Building Design: concrete’s capacity to store energy—its thermal mass—minimizes temperature fluctuations in a building over the course of the day, reducing the need for additional heating and cooling.
Water and Wastewater Management
- Pervious Pavement: pervious concrete allows rainwater to filter through and reduce flooding, while helping to decrease heat concentration.
- Water Channels: concrete water channels are used in farming to reduce the amount of water lost as it flows through fields. Locally produced concrete also provides an affordable solution.
- Potable Water and Sewage Systems: high performance concrete is used for pipes, which are affordable, long-lasting, have high structural strength, and can withstand water abrasion.
- Wastewater Treatment Plants: special cements and high technology concrete design increase chemical resistance and reduce maintenance.
Roads and Pavements
- Paving: Concrete roads are durable and need little maintenance. They require less energy for street lighting, keep urban areas cooler, and decrease the urban heat island effect.